An effective performance management system starts with the organisation's mission, vision, values and strategic goals. These are then converted into operational plans and workforce plans which then can be managed.
As an organisation it is important to share the aims and objectives, provide information about performance results, seek comments and feedback from staff, get ideas and suggestions – and make people feel a part of their organisation. Performance management systems can be an effective means for such communication.
Monitoring performance is important for many reasons:
- It allows you to respond quickly to changes
- Unacceptable performance can be identified at any time
- Collects information about the performance of individuals and teams
- Keeps people and teams in touch with what you have agreed will be achieved
- Provides opportunity to negotiate changes to unrealistic or problematic performance standards or objectives if circumstances warrant it.
- How should you monitor performance?
- Through day to day observation as employees carry out their work
- Conduct regular performance appraisals
- Informal individual or team meetings
- Key Performance Indicators
There are many effective ways to monitor and verify performance, evidence of monitoring, coaching and training can come in all forms such as;
- Samples of written work
- Information on how specific situations are handled
- New skills and knowledge obtained/applied on the job
- Training courses/seminars attended
- Specific KPIs
- Verifiable comments from peers or subordinates
- Feedback from internal and external clients
- Collecting Data
- Dollar value of sales by the employee
- Number of complaints about the employee
- Number of client commendations
- Days absent
- Number of creative ideas generated and implemented
When gathering evidence it is advised not to just get it on actual performance – get it on context as well e.g. something affecting a job role beyond anyone’s control and gather it throughout the year, as an ongoing process.
Monitoring well means consistently measuring performance and providing ongoing feedback to employees and work groups on their progress toward reaching their goals.
The Footprint Group’s HR Consultants can offer your business a variety of options in regards to Employee Performance Management from coaching you and your Managers through to conducting the entire Performance Management Process. Contact us here for more information